View Single Post

Thread: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

1. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    So one of the frequently proposed unlikely ideas is "Snarl Jr", that the MITD is a splinter of or otherwise related to the Snarl. Now, considered on its own this probably violates the "possible to figure it out" clause, but is it possible that whatever species or creature the MITD is originates from the Snarl? The Protean in particular, as an ever-shifting creature of chaos, would make a great deal of sense as some kind of spawn or mortal avatar of the Snarl.

This might explain the "fine line" comment: Rich didn't create the Protean, or the Xenoscryth, or whatever, but he did decide that *whatever creature* would, in OOTS continuity, be the spawn of the Snarl. And if the MITD originates from the Snarl, it would contain the tetrachromatic energies necessary to seal the Snarl, allowing for the rifts to be sealed without Redcloak's aid.

So what do you think of this idea, and which creatures might this explanation fit?
    If you mean "Rich will tie the species to the snarl in lore only", I suppose he might, although if that is the case, it is of no particular impact to this thread, since "future OotS lore tie ins" isn't something we can use.

But more crucially, the snarl doesn't fit. As far as we know, it can't teleport, it doesn't eat (other than, possibly, souls), it doesn't speak, it doesn't reproduce, there aren't so many of him running around that the SBGH would comment on it or think he'd sell for a good price, etc.

And I've said my piece on the fine line comment: as far as I can tell, there is no hidden meanings, clues or anything else. Rich simply acknowledged that made up monsters are made up monsters regardless of who created them, and so excluding himself as author is a fine line.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-11-03 at 04:23 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est