1. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: Are There Any Chaotic Evil Disney Villains In The Disney Universe?

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Imprisoning Belle's dad was an evil act, by my reckoning. However, I'm unwilling to condemn the beast as evil for a single evil act, especially since there are a lot of mitigating circumstances (not least, what happened the last time a mysterious stranger sought shelter from him probably left an emotional impact crater). We can infer from the servants' good cheer even after being stuck with him for 10 years that he's not a bad boss, and his behavior through the rest of the film (saving Belle, letting her leave when she asks, working on being a better host, sparing Gaston) is at the least not evil either. I'd be comfortable labelling him as Neutral on the morality axis; plenty of good traits, and some bad ones, though he seems to have mostly gotten over those by the end of the film.
    If you applied the same lens to Gaston would you also come up neutral? If not, how would you distinguish between the two?

As Hamisphance pointed out, the main evil act of both the Beast and Gaston was similar - to kidnap Maurice/Belle because they wanted Belle.

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The point is that his motive invalidates the whole "attacking The Beast's castle qualifies as a Good Act" theory. His previous behaviour disproves the theory that he had any altruistic reasons for the attack.
    No it doesn't

If a person has assaulted someone, it doesn't mean they should never stop another person from being assaulted. If they've stolen something, it doesn't mean they should never try and stop another theft.
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2020-11-05 at 04:03 AM.