View Single Post

Thread: Korra

1. - Top - End - #19
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Korra

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Ya, but it far more commonly goes the other way. Asami walked in on Mako "cheating" on her (more accurately, Mako being a deer in the headlights as Korra just grabbed him) and I can honestly see her never talking to him again. Thats an entirely normal reaction.

And then it goes nowhere. Like, Korra and Mako are a thing for what? 8 episodes, where they break up early in Book 2 in one of the dumbest most overly dramatic fights I've ever seen?

Come on writers, you made Korra look like an absolute bitch for pretty much no payoff. Why didn't they just have Asami and Mako split up and then have Korra sweep in? Less drama, but it's still there for playing around with tension, much easier to patch things up, and Korra doesn't look awful. Simple.
    I really see the Korra/Mako fight as being pretty reasonable... they're both trying to do what they think is right and their duty, but they conflict between Mako's desire to work as a cop, and Korra's sense that, as avatar, she should be taking the lead and DOING something. It's compounded by Korra's pretty well documented inability to see anyone else's point of view. They don't really have the option of not talking to each other; their social circles are too entwined (I mean, they pretty much ARE each other's social circle... Asami's lost her mother and father, and seems to have no other friends or peers; Mako has been with no one but Bolin and Korra and series of pro bending teammates who hate him).

You've got three beautiful young people, getting thrown into each other by circumstances, with differing ideas of what needs to be done. Korra wants to be in charge and doing things. Mako wants to be supercop. Asami wants to save her business. All of them are working to help the southern water tribe, but their differing goals and personalities means that they're bouncing off each other.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2020-11-06 at 08:37 AM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.