1. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Can't seem to find an upgrade for my tablet without losing features.

I've thought about custom ROMs, but that solution has a couple problems. If I upgrade to a new tablet, I'll be able to have the old one next to it for a while too make sure I have everything properly copied over and set up. With a ROM on the same tablet, I only get one chance to get things right. I can back it up, but that still means possibly digging through files in a file manager without being sure what apps data files might be tied to, if I miss some downloaded photos, videos, etc.

Also, it means if something does go wrong, I'll be stuck with no tablet at all for a time until I fix the situation one way or another.

Also, it's a five year old tablet of a model that was released six years ago. Even if it's adequate, I feel like i should be able to spend the same or a little more and get something noticeably better without giving up any key features. But it seems like the 7" to 8" tablets with better than 1080 resolution are Apple or nothing now.

It just frustrates me that I can find this sort of device so useful, and yet somehow the market or marketing failed for these? I can't be the only one who finds 8" tablets just barely usable and 10" to be too big? But everything in the 8" category now seems to be cheap no-name brands with prices under $100 and specs that reflect that price.

So frustrating.

Edit: Maybe I should just get one of those cheap tablets, get it set up to the point that it's usable except for the resolution, and then try flashing an open source ROM on my current hardware. That's about the only safe-feeling way forward I can see at the moment.
    Last edited by gomipile; 2020-11-08 at 03:02 PM.