Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
Thing is, Klaus has a point.
The Brothers Heterodyne tried a different way, brought peace the "heroic" way.
And. It. Failed. The Other attacked, they vanished and everything went back to hell.

So I can't exactly blame the Baron, upon returning to the sheer mess Europa turned into without his friends, for deciding "My way then."

Because honestly? It's the only way that works.
Wait what? "The Boys vanished when the Other attacks and everything went to hell therefore their way failed" and " The Baron vanished when the Other attacked and everything went to hell therefore his way works"? Pick one, you can't have both.
Without someone keeping everything in check Europa would burn to ashes.
Europa hasn't been kept in check by anyone for most of its history and yet it's still there.
Voltaire wasn't different. Nor is Albia.
Nobody said they were? Every leader in GGverse is autocratic and a monarch that's kind of the issue.
[Quote]Ultimately the Boys were just a more idealistic version.

And of course he wanted a successor to keep the Empire going. Anything else would be moronic.
Because otherwise everything falls apart. Again.
What's moronic is hoping that a bloodline would only ever produced people that can be trusted with some power, let alone absolute power, or that a leader gets to choose their successors. Checks and balances is where it's at.

That everything almost did with the Wulfenbach forces being weakened after Mechanicsburg only proves him right in the end.
Not it proves that he didn't solve the problems as much as sweep them under the rug. The Empire was always going to implode when he'd die because that's what happens when everything rests upon one guy being in charge.

There's only one real solution to the situation in Europa, and that's getting rid of the Spark. If Klaus had focused on that and brought more people to help him study the spark rather than try to tame a continent that can't be tamed he might have made some progress.

Also, Klaus failed to notice the Knights of Jove conspiracy and the servants of the Other inside his own army, so I doubt one can really say that his way worked, even in the short term.