Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
But, have we ever seen minion-level Jagers? When recovering the Wasp Eaters, the Jagers seem comparable to or superior to the Vespiary Squads, who were supposed to be elite. One lone Jager was enough to take down 6 sparkwolves when distracting Martellus. And comparing the Generals with the common soldiery is probably unfair, but all the generals we've seen have been absolute monsters when in combat. The only time I can recall off the top of my head where Jagers lost badly was when the Three went and got themselves captured in Zum Zum, but even then it happened off-camera.
The Novels (especially the first one) show the Jagers as being a good deal sharper than they let on (starting with the leader of Klaus' bodyguard coming up with an off-the-cuff way of circumventing his order not to follow them while chasing Agatha's clank, going all the way through to the fight with the wasps at the end. Dimo and Jenka (and to a letter extent Oggie and Maxim) are sgown as a bit sharper due to having been detached.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
I think there was another reason as well. Not only did Klaus give the hostages a top notch education, he was also training them to be good rulers. I think Tarvek mentions a course named "Good Rulership 101" at one point. If he can make the kids good rulers it greatly reduces the importance of people like him. Klaus was basically trying to work himself (and Gil) out of their jobs long term.
Novels again: A footnote indicates that the education was a side-effect from Klaus just wanting the kids out of his hair, but gave rise to a more well-educated and enlightened ruling caste than previously.