1. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: [Dragonlance/Faerun] Anyone here met any Cataclysm/Wall of the Faithless defender

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Plus most adventurers are carrying that weight for long distances, not just picking it up and putting it down again, and they aren't at a controlled meet with perrrectly-balanced weights and time to carefully prepare before each lift, and chalk for the hands and lift belts for back support, and...
    And are frequently carrying heavy weights...while also dashing on uncertain footing, dodging blows, climbing with one hand and attacking with another, etc.

For me, personally, I'd just ditch the obsession with realism overall. Judge things like weight limits by how they affect the aesthetic you want to produce and the types of gameplay it supports. For instance, a logistics-heavy survival game needs very different weight limits than a heroic action game. None of this is about realism (except in very wide bounds) but about consonance between setting and gameplay.

My favorite example is that an average strength (STR 10) D&D 5e level 20 fighter can (given a single feat), in the span of 6 seconds do all of:
    * run 30 feet with as many turns, pirouettes, and dodges as he wants
    * make up to 8 independent, aimed shots at up to 8 targets within 120 feet with no penalties with a heavy crossbow up to 6x/day
    * make up to 4 independent, aimed shots with a heavy crossbow the remaining rounds of the day.
    * while carrying up to 150 pounds of gear

And can do this day in and day out, surviving on combat rations and a regular amount of water.
    Last edited by PhoenixPhyre; 2020-11-11 at 03:02 PM.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.