1. - Top - End - #93

Default Re: Circle of the Shepherd Druid Guide to Fuzzy Fury

I noticed that you rated the Annis hag as green/good: "Annis Hag- Bite, Claw, Claw, Grapple. Simple, yet effective."

I think it's worth calling out that the grapple does insanely high damage, including as an opportunity attack.

Crushing Hug. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 36 (9d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 15) if it is a Large or smaller creature. Until the grapple ends, the target takes 36 (9d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage at the start of each of the hag's turns. The hag can't make attacks while grappling a creature in this way.

Bolded emphasis mine. If you hit once with a grapple you do 18d6+10 (73) total unless the enemy kills the Annis, burns an action to try to halve the damage, or is Huge or Gargantuan. After her turn starts, the Annis can either drop the grapple and do Crushing Hug again, or just maintain the grapple and Dash or Dodge or cast spells.

With 75 HP, weapon resistance, and AC 17, she's also pretty tanky (almost as tanky as a raging mid-level Barbarian), and like a Raging Barbarian you sort of get double mileage out of healing spells that you cast on her between combats: 10 HP of healing cancels 20 HP of enemy damage rolls. She's got 40' movement so she can kite if she wants to (to turn enemy Multiattacks into single opportunity attacks), and she's got Disguise Self to stay unobtrusive between combats and/or possibly gain surprise or an opportunity attack at the start of a combat. An enemy might be willing to risk an opportunity attack from a plate armored but weaponless warrior in order to get to a squishy wizard, but if that "weaponless warrior" grabs him for 9d6+5 damage (with 9d6+5 more auto-damage incoming) AND grapples him so he can't actually reach the squishy... that's considerably better than a Sentinel Fighter.

Anyway, I suggest you at least add words to the effect "Annis Hag: hits like a truck against Large or smaller enemies."

Edit 2/27/2012: oh, I also noticed that you don't have the Quetzalcoatlus (Volo's) listed as a CR 2 choice, which is too bad because it does considerably more damage than the Giant Elk and has Flyby. There's a case to be made that Quetzalcoatlus is the best possible choice for a Shepherd Druid's Faithful Summons (4 monsters of your choice, CR 2 or under), although Giant Constrictor Snake is competitive too.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-02-27 at 11:56 PM.