Spoiler: Mandalorian
Show

No way is it going to be Snoke, if only because that doesn't really make any sense. Snoke is the Emperor's thing, and he's off on Exogul in secrecy. I'm thinking Gideon wants ot make himself a Force user.

The thing in the tank looks a lot like him. Maybe an early failed version? What will Gideon making himself force sensitive do? He'll just be a cheap knockoff Jedi with no training to use his powers.

The Mandolorian, however, has managed to raise the stakes subtly and effectively. The first stormtroopers we see in Episode 01 are slovenly and unprofessional - their armour is rusty and they talk back to the visitor with barely concealed apathy. These guys get justifiably Batman'd by the hero over the space of about 10 minutes.

The next time we see them, however, are under the command of Moth Gideon - their armour is shiny, there's a platoon of them, and they mortally wound Mando. The day is only saved by the death of two named protagonists.
They're notably more competent, better equipped and organised and it shows - culminating in the most recent episode where we've gone from shabby, barely threatening dregs up to black-armoured Super Troopers who the average audience member probably doesn't recognise, but they can make an educated guess at an escalating threat when they see it.

This is why, I think, the jokes work better in the TV show. The characters have mostly seen the Grunts of a disenfranchised army, but there's plenty more waiting in the wings; Mando knows this, because those same reinforcements have killed one of his friends, and he notably doesn't join in when the other Mandolorians are making jokes about Trooper incompetence.

I entirely disagree, I don't think Stormtroopers have ever been handled so poorly. (I don't remember much about Rebels, admittedly)

The early ones under the Client require a plan and effort to deal with.

Mando makes the first stormtrooper joke himself in the prison episode

"I used to be an Imperial Sharpshooter"
"That's not saying much."
"I wasn't a Stormtrooper!"

Moff Gideon's troops are cleaner, but much less effective. Their inaccuracy is proved when they can't even shoot nearby cans, and they present no real threat despite their overwhelming advantage. Moff Gideon himself mortally wounds Mando, and he only manages that because he happens to be standing near an ammo dump.

Even in the end, they only present a threat due to their overwhelming advantage of having the leads completely exposed on a slow moving raft, and fail completely to capitalise on it.

Then, Season 2. The Mandalorians carve their way through the ship with no real effort, including that joke about the cargo bay. They get pinned in one doorway very briefly, but Mando's plan to overcome this is to walk directly into the line of fire because even concentrated fire can't actually hurt him.

Then this episode. The base looks shoddy as a disguise, but is actually well equipped (they comment on how valuable that transport is), and our three leads (and a random accountant they brought along for no apparent reason) solo the base.

Their armoured transport is pursued by three scout troopers and four TIEs, and even with such an overwhelming advantage they can't do damage worth a damn, and are even more helpless against the Razor Crest, which is an old, decrepit, barely functional ship that was completely wrecked two hours ago.

I don't think Stormtroopers have ever been handled this poorly. Even with an overwhelming advantage, they barely present a threat and can't actually accomplish any damage.