View Single Post

Thread: A Question Of Agency?

1. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: A Question Of Agency?

Quote Originally Posted by Democratus View Post
    Players complaining about "lack of agency" just hasn't been a big deal at the tables I've seen, whether running a published module or custom material.

Player buy-in as I have seen it in the real world (rather than forum white-rooms) has been easy to come by. To the point that I can treat it as a given that if someone has taken a seat at the table, they have agreed to take the leap with whatever comes next.
    I think the forums reflect that when examined. These "forum white-rooms" talk about preferences/agency/buy-in as if it were normal for groups to be doing something that works for them. In a happy group those aspects probably blend in with "game as normal" (just like in your experience). It is the uncommon unhappy group, or the concept of such a group, that creates threads like this. So the white-room discussions are about investigating the hidden assumptions/structure/mechanics of RPGs as social games to help identify why the abnormal unhappy group (real or theoretical) is unhappy and how to restore the normality of everyone enjoying themselves.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2020-11-23 at 11:38 AM.