I'm 33 years old and am just now starting my first campaign in DnD and I could use advice on how to build this character as I progress. I wanted to do something really offbeat and make it my own but I don't just want to muddle through it, I want this character to be effective. What I've done is I chose to be a half-orc Monk/fighter and he is not a typical half-orc stature. I'm what would be considered a Runt and a bit of a cast away. Anyway there' back story to how I became what I am but that's not relevant right now. To date I am a level 3 Open hand Monk, and instead of taking the feats at level 4 I chose to multiclass into Fighter, and then our DM alows us to use features from unearthed arcana and I chose the unarmed fighting style. It's important to know that I use a 10ft chain with a hook as a weapon and the DM has also allowed me to use categorize it as a monk weapon. With this build so far I can grapple foes with my chain and with the unarmed fighting style I do damage each turn I keep someone grappled, I also get 1D8 for unarmed attacks because of my fighting class and that's great for a Monk who mostly punches and kicks. I know I will never be a tank and I won't do the most damage in a battle, but I would love to hear some advice on how to continue to build upon what I've already started. Again it's my first go around so if this build is complete nonsense to you veteran players I'm sorry I just wanted to make him as interesting as possible without really knowing what I was doing.