I stand by the positives that I said without qualification - it is well written, has strong characters, and (like Cheesegear said) if you WANT a whistle-stop tour of a bunch of weird and wacky things that happen in the 40k universe then it's fine.

I'm not such a grognard that all I want from 40k is a story about Space Marines stomping on peoples' faces for 300 pages and then the planet explodes - I loved Ciaphas Cain and Master of the Hunt and hated 15 Hours, for example - but Atlas Infernal lacks.... consistency. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
...Isn't Watson an army doctor who served in [war at the time of iteration]? ...Why are you treating him like a moron?
Afghanistan.

Dr. Watson was an army medic in Afghanistan - one of the most harsh, dangerous and uncompromising battlefields in the modern world - and *he* did it in the 1870's before blood transfusions, portable antiseptics, and all the rest of it was invented. And he only came home because he got shot and caught typhoid, both of which combined he got over in about 6-8 months.

He's literally a war-hero who comes home and spends his spare time getting talked down to by a deranged coke-fiend. Show the guy some respect, Doyle.