View Single Post

Thread: OOTS #1220 - The Discussion Thread

1. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1220 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Trapfinding is indeed Rogue only. And Roy can't see it - Haley has to point it out to him the second time too. He's looking down, but that doesn't mean he sees it (and the fact that she had to tell him the second time implies he can't).

Do you have a theory on how Redcloak, a pure Cleric, can somehow use trapfinding, a Rogue-only skill?

Yes, because I pointed out that everyone could see the trap in Draketooth's Dungeon. I made a point of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Magic? Specifically, Find Traps, a level 2 cleric spell.
    Also, thank you DnD nerds! I didn't know that existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
    I feel like y'all are all dancing around the most likely explanation of the trap's mechanics: it's not a trap at all, just an always-on portal that links the door to its associated dungeon crawl, which is located somewhere else. Disarming the trap temporarily turns off the portal, so the different-colored floor behind it is just what is actually there behind the portal. Team evil hasn't noticed the trap because simply walking in doesn't trigger any detectable change. The OOTS might have made the same mistake if Haley hadn't stopped Roy before he could step over the trap. After the 20 seconds are up, the portal will turn back on, so anyone following the OOTS will end up on the standard path.

Bonus points if the runes don't actually create the portal, just provide a means to turn it off, so the dungeon fails safe if someone just destroys the runes. That would mean that without a rogue team evil has no way to bypass the trap even if they know it is there.
    Now that is the more reasonable explanation. That I can buy. If the flash is the portal turning off, then that explains why there wasn't a flash when TE went in the other door. Still, I can't see an epic level sorcerer who regularly plain shifts to not notice that he just walked through a magic portal a few dozen times and never question it.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post

He's looking right at the line and when asked by Haley if he can see it he answers "No." He has a rough idea where it is because Haley pointed at it. Also just because everyone could see the magical glyphs in Draketooth's Dungeon doesn't mean all magic traps are visible.

Basically everything Hyoi said.

I like that last part. It would also explain why Redcloak and Xykon couldn't bypass it even if they used Truesight or whatever to detect the runes. Might have tried dispelling it and dismissed it when it didn't seem to change anything.
    I did miss that. Okay, maybe Roy can't see it, but he also has no spot. He does say he can't see the first one, the second one he could reroll a spot check, though and maybe he did see the second one. Regardless, Oona has spot and RC may have the aforementioned detect traps spell.
    Last edited by Thecommander236; 2020-11-27 at 12:41 PM.