Good discussion so far guys! I think Yanagi's point of specialized melee troopers makes the most sense, with most of the rank-and-file make use of bayonets rather than melee weapons.

I feel I should mention, if it is relevant, the world is based off Spheres of Power/Might and magic is common form the mortals' side: to the point almost every squad can have a dedicated mage for it. What that mage can use varies depending on the squad and where they're from, but a fair standard is one that can conjure bullets and magazines for their allies.

My logic as to why melee was still a common thing is because there are outright Blood War hordes of demons; vast oceans of the things. It's usually not a matter of *if* melee occurs, but *when* since demons just have hordes and hordes of cannon fodder. I suppose another reasoning for my initial troopers being competent in both melee and range stem from the fact my early drafts of the setting had a much smaller populatipn of higher level mortals, whereas now the world can field full armies of troops ala mid 1900s countries.

I can definitely see liberal use of things like Anticipate Teleportation being a thing for those that can cast it.

Keep up the discussion guys! Any insight is nice! If anyone wants to look at my setting info, here's a link to my google docs: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...-_XjpPMp-pwmuC

Sorry if it's a little messy or things are incomplete/contradictory, I kinda adjust things as I get the urge.