Deck the Halls

"I, uh, I..." Solstice stammered, struggling to find the right words. "I really do not think this whole idea of a.. communal, anonymous gift exchange is a good idea..."

She looked down rather sheepishly and focused on the decorations. What was it that bothered Solstice? She couldn't quite put her finger on it. You'd think that in theory, everything works out. In the end, one person gives a gift, and that same person receives a gift. But it seemed that any good will associated with giving a gift was lost. And so what of the exchange values themselves? What if you put something very valuable under the tree and got something of little value? What if someone decided to steal some gifts from under the tree without putting any there themselves? Then there would be fewer givers than takers.

But for whatever reason, Solstice still felt quite uncomfortable with it. She would opt to neither put anything under the tree, nor take anything.

"So this is what the Thanksmas celebration is all about? Exchanging gifts? And.. 'thanks'?" But then again, to Solstice, merely thanking someone was an acknowledgement that one was given something, one way or another, and likely now in another's debt. "Giving thanks for what?"