View Single Post

Thread: OOTS #1220 - The Discussion Thread

1. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1220 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    On further thought: they've left a clear trail to the first door they entered, and a partially-obscured trail from there to this one. Which muddies the water considerably: what level of bluff are they playing? Did they really double back? Did they choose some other route altogether?

I don't suppose there's any magic along the lines of "scry the recent history of a location", AKA "video surveillance"?

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post

Not that it being a reasonable place to find a bird has always helped poor Blackwing...

I thought I remembered there being a spell for this, but I can't seem to find it it the online SRD. Might be a 2rd edition thing, might not be in the SRD, might be cross-pollination from GURPS, might be that it just has a non-intuitive name, but I'll look more later if no one else finds one.
    Hindsight is exactly that. 6th level Divination spell for Bards, or 9th for Sorc/Wiz. You get audio too.
    It's from Complete Adventurer (p. 151), though it got updated in Spell Compendium (p. 114). Not much change though; just some additional clarification/examples.

From Core there's Legend Lore/Vision, but those only work for legendary events ("legends").

Contact Other Plane/Commune can sort of work too indirectly, by playing 20 Questions and applying deduction. Not exactly psychometry though.

Speaking of psychometry... Clarsentience powers also has a few tricks. There's Sensitivity to Psychic Impressions (Seer 2), though it only gives very vague, "shadowy" visions. Then there's Psychometry (Seer 6) from Complete Psionic, which is basically, well... textbook psychometry. It's similar to Hindsight but is "video" only.
    Last edited by NNescio; 2020-12-01 at 04:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.