Quote Originally Posted by dmhelp View Post
I'm used to running a no multiclassing game and wanted to limit the potential power difference between a multiclassed and single classed character at Tier 3-4 (I'm a game balance fanatic). I adjust martial vs caster game balance thru magic items. I was originally trying to buff the single classed character but the rules felt pretty awkward. I'd also like to make multiclassing easier, where people just have the option of picking two classes, alternating their levels and being viable. This would be more similar to Gestalt/AD&D multiclassing, which I prefer (but found it takes too many rules to implement and I would like as few rules as possible).

This is another attempt to improve multiclassing at Tier 1-2 and nerf it slightly at Tier 3-4 with minimal adjustments to the base rules. It was originally more lengthy but the feedback at enworld that I got was that it was overly complicated and too much of an improvement for multiclassed characters.

• Multiclassed characters are limited to two classes and may not advance past level 10 in each class (i.e. eventually gets to 10/10 at level 20)
  • Multiclassed characters gain standard ASIs at character level 4, 8, 12, 16, & 19 instead of by class level (this creates some dead levels but gives someone balancing their levels quicker ASI advancement), ASIs at Fighter 6 and Rogue 10 are unaffected
  • Classes that gain Extra Attack gain it based on character level instead of class level if both classes are no more than 1 level apart (benefit lost if you level out of the balanced split); Bladesingers also gain their cantrip as an attack ability with this

I think that martial/martial and martial/caster are especially easy to create with these modifications. Certain combinations like Cleric/Druid would probably not be ideal.

Thanks for any feedback!
I feel like you're still overthinking it. This system hurts some of the most obvious combos like fighter/rogue (because rogues don't get extra attack). Changing around the ASIs just makes characters relatively overpowered for a level or two and then they face a dead level that's no fun.

Honestly I'd go even simpler: you're allowed to do alternating levels between two classes from level 1 no questions asked, and you're allowed to switch classes later in the game only with strong plot justification and DM approval.

What exactly are you trying to prevent here in tiers 3-4? I'm struggling to think of a multiclass combo that would be more powerful than just a straight-class caster at high levels. Maybe some of the one-level-dip stuff like hexblade/paladin, but those combos should be pretty easy to call BS on as DM.