View Single Post

Thread: anyone ever campaign a truly GOOD party?

1. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: anyone ever campaign a truly GOOD party?

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    Hypothetical:

A sheep farmer has one of his sheep killed and eaten by XXX. So the sheep farmer hunts down XXX and kills them. Then he goes home to celebrate his victory with a lice leg of lamb ...

The Farmer believes he is GOOD and justified in killing XXX who he believes is EVIL, yet he just killed XXX for killing and eating a sheep - which he does over and over again AND he has killed XXX for it as well ...

As to the question 'is killing always EVIL' - I do believe that there are situations where killing someone/thing is justified, but I believe those instances are rare. Most of the written campaigns I have played (mostly AL, and some hardcover) do a piss poor job of providing a justifiable motive for all of the killing they are designed around (in my opinion). When I play GOOD PC's I find myself often having to decide that they would do the thing the adventure wants them to do even though any decent person would not. You have to play as if your PC is the Tick - just stupid and delusionally heroic in order to keep the plot rolling.

I'm just fine with the premise of the game, and the tactical challenge of winning battles with monsters etc, it's the hypocrisy of GOOD PC's solving everything by violence that bugs me. I'm fine with the suspension of disbelief that is fantasy role playing, but the dishonesty of the white hat team grates.

Just my opinion. I was wondering if it was just me.
    A lice leg of lamb sounds nasty yo.

As for the overall good/evil it's entirely a combination of action, motive, and method. I've played in mostly good parties.

Your issue seems to be the lack of motive and method in AL modules more than the action itself.
    Last edited by Nhorianscum; 2020-12-01 at 03:48 PM.