It's neat and I have to admit the concept is kind of cool.

But it seems pointless.

Surviving in melee against anything you really care about hurting will require a load of buffs, which eats up your spell slots and actions. So you're losing 2 caster levels and 3 feats in order to get some not-very-impressive melee abilities, and then spending even more spell slots and actions to be able to credibly use those melee abilities. There's no quick role switching: you're expending time and resources to take on a role you're not great at. Still, you're trading power for flexibility and coolness. Except spell slots and caster levels ALSO give flexibility, so you're probably just trading power for coolness.

Cool. It's not like a wizard will be useless because of some delayed casting - sometimes the benefit of T1 classes is that they can make some thematic choices and STILL BE USEFUL. It seems like a sub-optimal trade, but your trading down from a Ferrari to a Porsche 911 so you're still in a good position.

The real issue I see is with equipment. You will be splitting your equipment between caster items, survival items and melee items. And since you'll be in melee sometimes, you may need MORE survival items than you would if you were a classic wizard. Same with stats, you want high int and con and str and at least some dex...

To be honest, it will probably work out ok. And it will be cool, cause lets face it, wizards with flaming swords (that they know how to use) IS cool. But I can't shake the feeling it will mostly work because it's fundamentally a wizard. Cool wizard though. That counts for something.