Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
I'm pretty certain that restoring the trap severed the link. Actually no. Rereading it that is possible but uncertain. I initially interpreted, "Hey! Uh, hey, everyone? No more joking around...", as Blackwing trying to tell them but being a bit weirded out by a lack of response. But I don't think that is clear, that could be something that is happening but the party could be acting off of Blackwings info in panel six. Just nobody explicitly acknowledges that Xykon and company are almost there. And Heroinism and Stoneskin have long enough durations that they don't need to worry about them running out before the fight.
I don't necessarily read it that way. Not impossible, but I read Roy's order to cast medium term buffs as a reaction to Blackwing's report, since he didn't say how far away Team Evil was, just that they were headed in the the Order's direction.

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
Hmm. It would be meaningless - indeed, harmful - to cast buffing spells if one were not expecting at least a scuffle, but I fail to see what the Order gains by engaging at this point. I suppose they could buff in CASE of a scuffle, but still hope to avoid one. Even an ambush by the Order seems unlikely to accomplish much for the Order. At best they could incapacitate Redcloak (killing him works against them) or kill Oona/Greyview...and either might rely on the MitD choosing now to step in and help the good guys. IF that were to happen, they might stand a chance against Xykon...but then even if they manage that, I would think it would be all the more difficult to sway Redcloak.

Granted, I've had five minutes or so thinking this all through, which is more time than they've had, so they've probably not considered all the possible outcomes (if anyone, V and/or Roy.) From my current perspective, it seems to me the Order is playing a strange game when the only winning move seems to be to not play at all.
I see it as Roy mainly being prepared if Team Evil sees through the bluff about which door they went in. Even if the Order retreats, they'll need buffs to survive long enough to do it.