1. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Master of Many forms and Human Bonus feat

2 quotes from the 3.5 Main FAQ

1)

Page 39 of BE it states that exalted feats are supernatural abilities and not extraordinary abilities like other feats. Does that mean that I lose the benefits from my exalted feats in an antimagic field?

Correct. Unless specifically stated otherwise, the benefits granted by exalted feats are considered supernatural abilities and thus don’t function in areas of antimagic. Some of the special abilities granted by the Vow of Poverty (and described under "Voluntary Poverty” on pages 29–31) are specifically described as extraordinary (such as the natural armor bonus gained at 8th level). These abilities are retained in areas of antimagic, even if other abilities from the same feat (or from other exalted feats) are not.
    So the FAQ sees no issue in the statement that Feats default to EX abilities.
    Further, as what would you otherwise categorize em? I have shown several times that all other options are invalid. And there is nothing in the (Special Abilities) rule indicating other noncategorized abilities. Conclusion = it has to be one of the mentioned options.

2)

When my human uses polymorph* to take the form of another creature, he loses any extraordinary special attacks and qualities. Does this include his bonus feat and bonus skill points? If so, how do I figure out which feat and skill points are derived from his racial traits?

A human’s bonus feat and bonus skill points—like most other racial traits—are considered extraordinary qualities, and thus are lost when the character would lose such abilities (including when polymorphed). This is a good reason to keep track of which feat is your human bonus feat, since it might have wide-reaching effects. (For instance, if Dodge was your bonus feat, you’d lose the benefits of any other feats that have Dodge as a prerequisite, such as Mobility and Spring Attack.)
    Keeping track of where your bonus skill points are spent is more onerous, and likely less significant to play. If most of
    your skills are maxed out (that is, their rank equals your level +3, or half that for a cross-class skill), it’s probably easiest
    simply to designate one skill as the repository for all your bonus skill points.
    For ease of play, some DMs ignore this side effect, but doing so represents a clear benefit granted to humans. Be aware that players of nonhuman characters can resent this “freebie.”
    *The question and answer uses “polymorph” to refer specifically to spells that rely on the polymorph or alter self spell to duplicate their effect (including alter self, polymorph, polymorph any object, and shapechange), psionic powers based on he metamorphosis power (including metamorphosis and greater metamorphosis), and any other effect based on either of these lists.
    Here is another proof that a Human's Bonus Feat is undisputedly an EX ability/quality.
    While the Polymorph line does lose their own race's Special Qualities, this is not true for Wild Shape which is based on
    Quote Originally Posted by Alternate Form
    - The creature retains the special qualities of its original form. It does not gain any special qualities of its new form.
    - The creature gains the natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form.
    and for completeness sake:
    Quote Originally Posted by Master of Many Forms lvl7 ability
    Extraordinary Wild Shape (Ex): Starting at 7th level, a master of many forms gains the extraordinary special qualities of any form she assumes with wild shape.

I hope this should clear all doubts.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by newguydude1
    your still saying if i shapechange into a solar i get
    Cleave, Dodge, Great Cleave, Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Mobility, Power Attack, Track
    Yes, this is RAW if you wasn't aware of how broken Shapechange is. We are talking about a 9th lvl spell of a broken T1 class here. One of the reasons why the Epic Fighter doesn't look so epic anymore behind a 17th lvl wizard.

Bonus Round:
    I realized just now, that you would also get the regular 1st lvl feat of the human you are wild shaping into... = 2 floating feats *WIN*WIN*