View Single Post

Thread: Dragon vs. Wizard

1. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Dragon vs. Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    A dragon that can beat a Level 20 Wizard? No problem. You don't even need class levels.

First, let's pick us a dragon. We need a dragon capable of casting 6th level spells. I'll pick a Very Old bronze dragon, because it has a CR of a nice round 20, and because I like bronze dragons. They're cute.

Next step, the core Epic feat: Permanent Emanation.

Antimagic Field is an emanation. Pick it.

Voila, permanent antimagic field. Every round, on its turn, the dragon dismisses the antimagic field as a free action, does whatever it wants (casts spells, uses its breath weapon), and restarts it again as another free action.

The dragon now has near-complete immunity to magic, combined with the ability to use its own magic whenever it wants. The wizard is limited to attacking the dragon with stuff unaffected by an Antimagic Field. The dragon can attack the wizard with whatever it feels like at the time. Attacks, breath weapon, spells, Improved Snatch, crush attacks . . . the works.

The wizard loses.

- Saph
    I now see a dragon teaching an obnoxious wizard that he is truly nothing more than a withered old man armed with a book of unpronounceable words, a knobbly stick, and a funny looking hat.... This pleases me greatly.
    Last edited by Belteshazzar; 2007-04-26 at 11:35 PM.