View Single Post

Thread: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

1. - Top - End - #909
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default MITD: a new(?) suggestion

Hi friends.
    Great post and kudos to Grey Wolf for the great job maintaining it. I throughly enjoyed it throughout the years.

To the point: I believe I have a very strong candidate of what the MITD is.
    This creature:
    - Has a pretty good explanation for the circus scene with its aura
    - Has great strength and natural armor
    - Explains the escape scene
    - Is medium sized
    - Has a great spellcraft score and very high charisma
    - Has a CR of 20
    - I couldn't find it anywhere (edit: anywhere in this thread)

I suspect the MITD is:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Protean, Izfiitar
    www_d20pfsrd_com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/protean/protean-izfiitar
    (I tried to add links but the forum won't let me since I have less than 10 posts. Replacing the dots with underscores is the best I could do).

Pros:
    - Medium size fits the MITD
    - Cloak of Chaos aura explains the circus scene quite well.
    www_d20pfsrd_com/magic/all-spells/c/cloak-of-chaos
    It affects lawful characters differently, which is aligned with the variety of responses in the circus scene.
    It has an exotic shape "crowned by a halo of ever-changing symbols". The charisma of 28 also fits nicely.
    -Escape it explained by its 1/year miracle spell-like ability. It's also later surprised it can't use it again when it talks to the cockroaches. This could be because the MITD is still young and never tried using it twice in one year before.
    - Has a physical body and not immune to mind affecting spells.
    - Has a natural armor of +12, which explains why it's hard to hit, but could still suffer from a paper cut (no armor in the mouth).
    DR 15/lawful explains why Miko tickled it but it didn't even notice Belkar attacking it.
    Though to be fair, Miko was also higher level than Belakr at the time.
    - 35 spellcraft explains why is knows so much about spells.
    - It's quite likely for a Protean to think of the storm as its father, which explains why it said its father way way bigger.
    - It isn't in any of the forbidden categories. In fact, the standard 3rd edition protean is among the FBS, and this version fits the MITD better.

Cons:
    - I have no idea if it existed before strip 100 and couldn't find a way to check. The copyright notice is "Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Bestiary 6 © 2017, Paizo Inc", which should be way after strip 100, but no idea if it existed beforehand in other rule books.
    - It has DR 15/lawful which means Miko should've been able to hurt it. Its resistance is only explained by its +12 natural armor. Though havng 362 HP on average means it could treat Miko's attacks as tickles.
    - A strength of 29 is one point below what we would expect (see Section 3a: Suggestions that Fit the Big Scenes).
    However, it being an estimate by the community, as well as having only 1 str point below the threshold still keeps this plausible IMHO.
    - Speaks abyssal and protean, so the SBGH shouldn't have been surprised that is speaks. Maybe they were surprised an Izfiitar would speak *to them*, but this isn't a great explanation. It speaking common is still surprising.
    - It has 6 arms. Couldn't find a reason it'll have a hard time holding something and pulling it too.
    - It's a creature of chaos that keeps obeying Xykon's rules. This can probably be explained by the rule of funny.
    - I have no idea how Protean ecology works in Pathfinder. It could be that Proteans never start as Izfiitar, in which case it wouldn't make sense to think of it as a youngster of the species. Note that "izfiitars are and yet are not distinct from the keketars" is quite vague. Nothing contradicts Izfiitars being born as such.
    Last edited by Optimal Bison; 2020-12-25 at 10:01 AM.