Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
I don’t think a blank box works. Information is much easier to find and retain on a form.
And unless this information is important in a game, why does it matter?

Plus, I don't think many players would fill it out without a prompt, let alone read anyone else’s, and I want a system that encourages players to at least put a minimum of thought into purely cosmetic character details.
You won't believe how many character sheets I've seen where all the appearance details are blank.

And so what if most people don't fill it out? Most people don't bother to track what clothes their character is wearing. People should only fill out what'ss important to them and the game rules, and shouldn't feel compelled to give any additional details.

The advantage of a blank box is that it gives a player free reign to decide what's important about their character and isn't prescriptive. The disadvantage is that it gives no inherent starting point. And to go beyond sex and gender I want players to be able to define what's important to them without feeling like they're doing it wrong. That can be gender, but honestly if a player wants to put in their character's voice pitch, standard hairstyle, or to go with the immaturity theme breast size* then they totally should be allowed to treat it as important as gender.

Unless it's actually important to the game concept. Gender/sex rarely is, but could be in more historically accurate settings with strong gender roles.

* Okay, I've seen fully mature women do this as well as teenage boys, like with everything it's how it's approached that matters.