1. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What are you playing 4: HD Remaster Gold Collector's Edition Thread of the Year

So I received Spider-Man: Miles Morales as a holiday gift, and have been playing that. It's really good, though, no surprise, it's also like 80% the same as the Spider-Man game it's a sequel to. Same world map, as Miles is still hanging around the same parts of New York as Peter. He get a couple of new powers Peter never had - a set of electric abilities confusingly referred to as "Venom" powers, and limited invisibility - but it still feels like most of what you do is the same traditional Spider-Man stuff you could do in the previous game. The invisibility power does make disengaging from a tough fight to switch to picking off a few enemies through stealth a lot easier and more natural (plus makes a potent tool for the stealth segments themselves, of course), while the electric powers are basically just super moves, though quite satisfying ones to use. All in all, a couple of nice additions to a the solid base gameplay from its predecessor, but nothing revolutionary.

The story is quite good though, and I've quickly come to like Miles and his supporting cast. Very different set of character dynamics going on than Peter had, and it's a lot of fun to just see these characters interact, and see where this story goes. Hard to say more without getting into spoiler territory, though.

Seems like it might be kind of short though, as the game's already telling me I'm at an overall progress of 53%. I guess that makes sense given they made the game so quickly after the first though.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    So, after uninstalling that game after having played for about six hours, I fired up the Dragon Quest XI demo, and *immediately* I'm having ten times as much fun. I don't like the very stylised 3D cartoons they use for all the people, but the combat is turn-based and immediately makes sense. In fact, I had so much fun playing the demo that I just bought the full game and am downloading it ready to play tomorrow.
    DQ11 is very good, though I'm bit a surprised you might be taking to it given you don't normally enjoy JRPGs outside of those with Persona-level writing quality, since, well, Dragon Quest is literally the granddaddy of all JRPGs. Even the original Final Fantasy took heavy inspiration from the first Dragon Quest. And the series has remained very traditional - aside from ditching fully random encounters for ones you can see and avoid if you so choose, even DQ11 is basically the same style of game as the series has been going back to the very first, just with a much more involved (but still old-school in style) story and a skill system for the characters.

Still, hey, if you like it, have fun, it's certainly one I enjoyed a lot.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2020-12-26 at 06:10 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis