1. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What new words have you learned recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajustusdaniel View Post
    Yes... In the British public school system we got Rugby and association football, whereas gridiron football came out of New England colleges.
    I protest, good sir! The first college football game was the Rutgers Scarlet Knights vs the Princeton "If I can't win, I'm going Homes" in 1869...which was also the last time we were national champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajustusdaniel View Post
    Not a new word, but a clearing up of some confusion- Moot apparently has two different meaning depending on whether it's being used in British or American English, though in both cases it refers to an unsettled point (initially of law).

In American English, moot point is one that hasn't necessarily been settled, but where the circumstances have changed such that resolving it doesn't meaningfully affect whatever larger issue is under debate, so you might as well move on and stop arguing about it.

In British English, a moot point is one that's still up for debate.
    Well, now "Entmoot" makes more sense.

Colophon: a note describing the printing and typography of the book.

"Usually the colophon appears in the endpapers; sometimes you'll find them squeezed into the copyright page at the front. A basic colophon will identify the fonts used."
    Last edited by Scarlet Knight; 2020-12-31 at 10:09 AM.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett