View Single Post

Thread: Why the desire for low magic?

1. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Why the desire for low magic?

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    You could have them save a land of people who fears magic (so the wizard would not do any overt show of magic or it would have an harder time interacting with people)
    The other problem is that that probably means a land where no one can challenge a high level caster.

City: we don’t allow casters here
    Druid: oh? Well what happens if I fly off and park a hurricane on you until you change your mind?

Also, this last page has a lot of false claims presented as facts. Stuff like “Vast disparities in character power are generally not viable in TTRPG game structure”. Flat out wrong. There are plenty of games that allow for wider spreads of character power than D&D. Games like Elric (AKA, I’m a melnibonean fighter sorcerer with bonuses on all my stats and you are a beggar with -1d4 Cha and a roll on a crippling deformity table). Or Rifts (AKA You are a wilderness scout with 20 hp and a gun that does 100-400 hp damage and I am a spellcasting shapeshifting dragon with better stats and 10,000 hp). Or WoD (AKA you are a human kinfolk who doesn’t go crazy when they see magic and I am a wizard who rewrites reality with my brain, and also has better stats than you). If you are in a game where a power level mix isn’t beneficial, you can set the power level where you want it. The problems with 3.PF, generally solved over time, are that characters don’t make it clear what power level they are at (a newb doesn’t know he is in kinfolk/beggar/wilderness scout mode when he plays a monk) and there don’t happen to be many high power first party non-casters or low power first party casters. But that doesn’t mean that I can’t write a Gilgamesh/Heracles or a hedge mage class easier than creating a low magic setting. A simple gestalt Warblade(using only ex maneuvers)//Rogue is no effort on the DMs part and will more than hold his own as a Conan type at most tables with full casters.
    Last edited by Gnaeus; 2021-01-07 at 08:12 AM.