View Single Post

Thread: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

1. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

Quote Originally Posted by Coat View Post
    The bigger thing, for me, is that Rich is just a better story-teller than that. Like... at the point when the umbrella comes off, how many people are going to go 'oh, a Bakunawa, of course!'. How many people will even have heard of what a Bakunawa is?! I'd never heard of it before. I can't believe that Rich will be happy with himself unless at least 80% of his audience are kicking themselves for not seeing it before - and in my opinion, even a Tarrasque barely clears that mark.
    I don't think this can possibly be the case. If Rich, at ~#100, decided he wanted this out of the reveal ("at least 80% of his audience are kicking themselves for not seeing it before"), he'd have to pick a creature that was extremely well known, and yet carefully dole out clues in such a way that no-one would figure it out before the end. That's not a realistic objective, not when 99% of your readership are seriously into D&D (percentage has been diluted by non-players since then). I have long been in the camp of "Rich does not expect everyone to recognize it", mostly on the back of his assessment that he'd expect someone to figure out, rather than "everyone". We know he's been picturing the reveal for years now, so I expect he already has a plan on how to tell everyone that does NOT recognize it what he is, possibly more subtle than our usual go-to of "Elan is confused, and V explains in thorough detail".

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2021-01-07 at 09:56 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est