Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
I don't think this can possibly be the case. If Rich, at ~#100, decided he wanted this out of the reveal ("at least 80% of his audience are kicking themselves for not seeing it before"), he'd have to pick a creature that was extremely well known, and yet carefully dole out clues in such a way that no-one would figure it out before the end. That's not a realistic objective, not when 99% of your readership are seriously into D&D (number has gone down since then). I have long been in the camp of "Rich does not expect everyone to recognize it", mostly on the back of his assessment that he'd expect someone to figure out, rather than "everyone". We know he's been picturing the reveal for years now, so I expect he already has a plan on how to tell everyone that does NOT recognize it what he is, possibly more subtle than our usual go-to of "Elan is confused, and V explains in thorough detail".

Grey Wolf
I mean... yes, I completely understand where you are coming from. I don't see how it can be possible either.

But how many decades have we been following this comic now? I can't think of a single occasion when Rich has failed to land a story beat. And this is something he's been planning for a long time.
And the thing is, this isn't just a shout-out for the fans. The reveal of the MitD is a narrative pivot - every single reader has been led to wonder what is under that umbrella: I just don't think Rich would have built that suspense unless he was confident that he was going to deliver on it for the majority of readers.

Maybe you're right, and the way he delivers on it will be some subtle build-up and explanation. As you say, it seems inconceivable that the MitD could be that well known and we could still be so stuck on what it is. What can I say? I gotta lotta faith in The Giant!

This is just my opinion: I completely understand why you have yours, and I think if I was running this thread I would also consider your assumptions the only sensible and reasonable ones to make.
So I am just expressing my own opinion, rather than trying to persuade anyone else to change theirs.

On that note, can I just take a moment to raise my hat at the rather excellent work you do on this thread? People probably don't comment on it enough. Your courtesy and clarity are much appreciated, and when one wants to discuss thoughts and observations on the MitD with an invested and excited 10-year-old it is a marvellous resource to have to hand. Thank you!