Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
I don't think this can possibly be the case. If Rich, at ~#100, decided he wanted this out of the reveal ("at least 80% of his audience are kicking themselves for not seeing it before"), he'd have to pick a creature that was extremely well known, and yet carefully dole out clues in such a way that no-one would figure it out before the end. That's not a realistic objective, not when 99% of your readership are seriously into D&D (percentage has been diluted by non-players since then). I have long been in the camp of "Rich does not expect everyone to recognize it", mostly on the back of his assessment that he'd expect someone to figure out, rather than "everyone". We know he's been picturing the reveal for years now, so I expect he already has a plan on how to tell everyone that does NOT recognize it what he is, possibly more subtle than our usual go-to of "Elan is confused, and V explains in thorough detail".

Grey Wolf
V is confused, and Elan explains in thorough detail. The power of Bardic Knowledge! OK, OK, but seriously, i'd note that, whatever MITD's species, when you think about it, Rich has already explained what it is. Sure, he hasn't given the name, but even those of us who have never played D&D know what the MITD can do. He's very strong, can teleport people, is absurdly ugly...Sure, they don't know his exact species name, but, thanks to the clues revealed throughout this guessing game, they know what he can DO, which is what really matters.