View Single Post

Thread: WandaVision

1. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: WandaVision

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    I don't think the question is "why do they want to escape and appear normal in 1950s suburban american", but "why do they want to escape an appear normal in 1950s suburban America"

Like, the Doylist reason is because they wanted to make a 50s sitcom parody with heavy Betwitched references. But I think it makes no sense for the MCU characters. Wanda is an eastern European. Vision was made from JARVIS.
    Think of them as gay characters trying to fit in, for they crave what they did not have, what was denied them, and thus they self-closeted in Bewitched the tv show and the earlier 1958 film Bell, Book, And Candle (which was originally a 1950 play)

Back then in yore, Bewitched was not about gay characters (though it can be seen that way) but how other whites (such as Eastern Europeans) were trying to integrate and fit into the WASPy snobbish Whites of a different culture who were suspicious and skeptical of new neighbors that came from different cultures. There is this paranoia, and thus people both tried to actuality themselves but also live in a form of a closet. And the Bewitched magic is about hiding ones gifts in order to fit in.

(Once you get this, the whole nick at nite series is extremely dark like a twilight zone episode I mentioned in the spoiler blocks. There is a tension to this American Dream ideal that was sold that was not in the sales pitch but was in the pamphlets they handed out but in small letters, like a drug side effects that via regulation they must be pointed out so drug marketers and salespeople figure out ways to hide it like some form of Stepford Wives horror)

Edit just as a reminder.

• I Love Lucy (The first Lucy show) is 1951 to 1957.
    • The D.ick Van Dyke Show is 1961 to 1966. This is the greatest influence of the first two episode such as the set design and front door is meant to remind you of this older show. D.ick Van Dyke who is now 95, consulted for WandaVISION and there are interviews where D.ick says he was clueless of how much Marvel Movies were so successful and how they influenced the culture for the last 10 years.
    • Bewitched is 1964 to 1972. Like others have said this show and others were famous in reruns and syndication on basic cable in the 90s and 00s. Thus we are seeing a 30 year nostalgia chain when those shows were successful for they were cheap to syndicate for they were 20 to 30 years old and parents watched them with young kids, and now 20 to 30 years later the kids are now adults in their 40s and 50s green-lighting projects.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2021-01-17 at 02:38 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele