Quote Originally Posted by RNightstalker View Post
The ELH left so much to be desired. I don't know how WotC didn't readdress it in 3.5 except in bits and pieces here and there.
Yeah, I'm currently going through the ELH monsters trying to make them a bit more, well, epic, which is how I came to ask these questions.

There are even errors in the errata.
Gah, really? What are those?

One of the biggest defenses epic monsters had was their DR, which was pathetically simplified and royally hamstrung in the "update". I highly doubt due diligence was done for playtesting the original material or 3.5 updates.

I've also made a post or to about the Hecatoncheires myself so you questions and concerns are shared here. When I DM again I definitely intend to house-rule the DR system back to 3.0, at least for monsters/NPCs.
With DR it depends how much your players are optimizers. Against a reasonably high-OP group 3.5 DR might as well not be there, but against a low-OP group 3.0 DR means that some characters can't hurt them at all. Our group is what I'd probably call the lower end of mid-OP, so the 3.5 DR is about right, with a few exceptions (the Hecatoncheires being one of them; DR20 against a 57th-level party, really?).