Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
That is a normative framework of what type of permutations of reality should be considered “normative”

Disabled people are humans, they are people. Let them play with the fantastic. Some disabled people would do as you described, but others know that a normative framework can be dispiriting and disheartening. Figuring out alternatives such as a combat wheel chair is about reheartening the tender heart and reclaiming agency. To except there are many ways to live and how a normative ideal can be an illusion that makes some people miserable.
Something I've come to realise when any form of representation in fiction is talked about, is that there are two goals that can be striven for, and people aren't always clear about which one they're aiming for.

One is where being in X demographic simply isn't a problem. I still get to play "someone like me", but the setting is such that it doesn't have any negative impact. The other goal is to have those issues come up, and be dealt with by the characters in a way that makes their life harder but which feels rewarding when they defy the odds. Either ignoring or overcoming the petty annoyances that come with being in certain demographics in out world.

But the thing is that similar issues (like racism and sexism) are human constructs and it's much easier to say "they don't exist in this setting, except maybe from obvious bad guys who you can Scorching Ray in the face". With disabilities, it gets a bit muddier.