1. - Top - End - #101
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Is the roleplay aspect of D&D gone, replaced by optimization?

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Serious question: ARE there simpler OSR games? 5e is the simplest edition of D&D I've ever seen. Even the old, old-school editions were, despite having fewer knobs, far more complicated due to klunkier gameplay rules technology, to my recollection. 3e and 5e are refinements and streamlines on their basic engines to the point that they are simpler.

Are there OSR games that are genuinely simpler, still?
    Yes of course! There are tons of rules light osr games, where the actual rules fit more or less a page. 5e is really crunchy in comparison.

Edit, this section was added because i thought this was another thread:
    Relevant to this discussion, check out Knave which has a really simple and usable encumbrance system. Basically a number of slots based on stats (I think str or con), and it uses item based abilities. So if you want to be a spell caster, you need a magical tome for each spell, which each takes a slot. If you want to be a mighty warrior who wields heavy weapons and deal lots of damage, they require more slots. Armour takes a slot. If you want to be a skill monkey, you carry equipment to help you with climbing, picking locks etc.
    Last edited by Pelle; 2021-01-21 at 02:22 PM.