Quote Originally Posted by Schwann145 View Post
I'm a big fan of what 5E is capable of offering to D&D, but if we're being totally honest, I've never seen it actualized. Every forum, youtube video, online or otherwise game, seems to be far more concerned about what is "the best" than what makes for an interesting shared narrative. Which spells you can ignore, which feats are mandatory, which class combinations produce the best results, etc... Doesn't it get tiring?
If what you're interested in not "the best", you don't have a lot to learn from youtube video and online forums. Narrative advices are both way harder to build (very group dependent), often counterproductive (you might try to copy others instead of creating) and in the end not very fruitful in term of discussions, when it doesn't degenerate in toxic argumentations about what is a good or a bad DM.

That's like half of the video games, if you go through the forums you will see everyone talk about how to be competitive or optimised, and almost no one talk about how to casually enjoy the game. And it's also linked to the fact that peoples that casually enjoy the game rarely need to look at forums to know how to do it.

And as for gameplay, having technical battle is the "simple part". Building relationship between the character to have interesting interaction require much more work and will of the players (and DM), and some campaign take easily one year of real-time game before the character start to have enough "common experiences" for the players to naturally start RPing.

As for 5e, RP is not gone, but it might be for your table
(I'm currently in a campaign where we usually have one reasonably short combat every session, the remaining is roleplay)

So try other systems, and if you search for RP try in priority systems that don't require the players to even start reading a rulebook before the first session because the character sheet is half a page and the rules (character creation excluded) is 10min of explanation.