View Single Post

Thread: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

1. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Frez also takes a look at the notebook, nodding at the questions. It probably looks profoundly odd and unnerving to the woman tied to the chair.

"This chick thinks I'm in some thunder or lightning cult. Guess I was stupid and got overheard making a private phone call. But, yeah, what is Charon? And it is a what, not a who, right?"

To Frez and Inian's questions, the woman looks more confused than affronted.
    "Charon is the company I work at. It works in medicine and pharmaceuticals. We--I--have a cure for HIV, I'm sure of it. I admit it's based off a medical formula I stole, but what I stole was on paper. I don't think he even made a batch to test. I got it operational. As part of that, I convinced the CEO to build me a place to conduct some... off-the-books trials. The aboveground will be a normal testing place for formal trials, but the underground is, well, for me, for now. I think they plan to eventually use it for testing more hazardous diseases, where they need to be able to lock down the floor or quarantine people if a vial gets broken--at least, that's how building it was justified to the board of directors. So far that's the only one I know of. It was my idea, though, so it's probably the only one."

She takes a breath. "As for Kimberly, she started to tell me why she wanted them, but I said I didn't want to know. I..." She pauses as if in thought. "She started to say something about research, or at least I think that's what she was saying."

Spoiler: Resonance
    Show
    Again, all true. And reasons are 1) think it's her best chance for survival and her research agenda continued. This time she's also honest because she's proud of her accomplishments, shadowy as some of them are, and if she's gonna die she wants to boast before dying. And, again, she's fine if Kimberly gets screwed.

You also gleam a partial falsehood in 'convincing' the CEO. She slept with him and blackmailed revealing it to his wife, in order to get a promotion in Charon and to get the funding she wants. There was legit convincing in that (assuming no criminal charges come up from shadey parts) a cure for HIV will make the company a TON of money, but it took more than just that to get him to agree.

And, although Charon (the person who rowed people to the underworld in Greek mythology) probably was/is a powerful ethereal, her answer about Charon being a company rings true. As far as she knows, there's no connection beyond branding.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2021-01-23 at 01:04 PM.