We have a player in my group who overplans in an EXTREME way. We spend so many hours planning for something, sometimes an entire session, and by the next session, if a single detail is changed we have to have MORE planning. I often take to ignoring his plans because they are very rarely cost effective. Action wise, spell wise, ability usage... he wants tons of buffs handed around for single encounters when spells would be so much more used in other ways. I won't say he's a bad strategist, but there are at least two people there that are better. And the extra time spent does not really yield results.

Does anyone else have similar stories? I enjoy planning, but I have watched as others have sat there for endless hours doing nothing at the table. And, when the battle finally happens, it's over within a round or two. This would be true whether the planning happens or not.

I'd like to know a way to get a handle on this as I am beginning a new campaign with my group, one I am running, and I'd like to avoid this pitfall again.