Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
On the other hand, I once created a more light-hearted character for a play by post game - he was a inquisitor (role, not class) that was talkative, a slight bit hyper, very chipper and willing to take charge if noone else would. His main point of interest was the conflict between his role (he had been born into the church and was too scrawny to be much good in combat, so he was essentially drafted into "special operations"), and was just trying to make the most of a responsibility that had been thrust upon him. He had an extended family tree and complex relationships with his immediate family.The DM loved the character idea, and praised my RPing of him, but the rest of the party essentially seemed to want nothing to do with him. They were all quiet, brooding characters and most of them were heavy on the traditional duty and heroism - eventually I ended up not enjoying the character very much outside of combat, as I felt my RPing was just annoying people. They weren't bad RPers or bad people, they just wanted a different atmosphere in the game than I was contributing to. The internet could tell me in which order to take my class levels for best effect, but I doubt anyone could have told me that making an original character that filled a social role that was vacant in the party would end up making the game less fun for everyone.
Reminds me of our first attempt at running Curse of Strahd. I had a cool concept for a vistani vampire spawn on a quest for revenge against Strahd for ruining his life, and the other two PCs were a tortle and dragonborn who were random murderhobos with very silly RP. I felt like my character was heavily clashing with the tone of the party, and it frustrated me.

I later ran the exact same character in a solo run of Curse of Strahd, and it's one of the best campaigns I've ever had.