Quote Originally Posted by thoroughlyS View Post
I personally don't think making it a blade cantrip is the way to make it better. But if that is the direction your DM wants to take it, then I think it would be best to stick to the kind of scaling they use. It is important to note that the only thing that scales for cantrips is damage, so that they roughly mirror martial classes' weapon attacks. Compare guidance and resistance, which don't scale. Instead of increasing the bonus to hit (which goes against bounded accuracy), why not just increase the damage?

True Strike
Divination cantrip
Casting time: 1 action
Range: Self (30-foot radius)
Components: S, M (a weapon worth at least 1 sp)
Duration: Instantaneous
You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a weapon attack with it against one creature within 30 feet of you. You add 1d4 to the attack roll.
This spell's damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the weapon attack deals an extra 1d8 force damage to the target on a hit, and increases by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8) and again at 17th level (3d8).

This does damage comparable to booming blade, assuming the target suffers the rider damage once every third or fourth hit. Of note, this would be the only way to get bonus damage with a ranged weapon, so it's still pretty outside the norm for 5e, but the player in question is going Bladesinger, so it shouldn't be an issue.
The player he's fixing it for is going bladesinger, but there's another guy wanting to play rogue, and I just know he'll take arcane trickster for this.

I got a lot of good ideas here. I'll present them to him. The biggest aspect being crit and rogues.