Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Some additional light is thrown on the subject in How The Paladin Got His Scar.
HtPGHS makes it clear that the paladins in that raid didn't know that the Crimson Mantle is an artifact designed by the Dark One to impart knowledge of the Plan to his high priest. Which means that as far as they knew, any goblin that worshipped the Dark One could be told about the Plan by their diety and was therefore a potential threat to the world's continued existence, not just the bearer of the Crimson Mantle. If any goblin worshipper is a potential threat to the world's survival then it makes more sense to eliminate any village of Dark One worshippers with an active priesthood.
It's still a callous act, but the potential costs of not eliminating all potential threats are the world and everyone in it.
If the Southern Gods had told them that "the Crimson Mantle and its current bearer are the real threat", then they may have targeted only the Crimson Mantle rather than the entire village, but for whatever reason (possibly being over-cautious about who learns about the Snarl) they didn't say this.
The Twelve didn't tell the SG anything about the Dark One and the Mantle. Goblins and and PC races have been at war since time immemorial. A previous bearer of the Crimson Mantle lead an attack on Soon's gate so the SG knew that the church of the Dark One (or at least a goblin cult whose leader is called the Bearer of the Crimson Mantle) has designs for their Gate. Killing the Bearer and his lieutenants made sense, "exterminating" (their word) the entire village children included didn't.
Quote Originally Posted by BaronOfHell View Post
All this potential evil stuff reminds me of Kore from the Goblins comic.

Anyway my impression is that at least some of the Paladins who raids RedCloak's village aren't only doing it because they believe they must, they're having a jolly time doing this. In my opinion this take away from the "unfortunately we must", which in my opinion in itself doesn't mean their actions are good or even neutral, and goes directly to lack of respect for the sanctity of life.
This.