View Single Post

Thread: I had a theory about the Snarl...

1. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: I had a theory about the Snarl...

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I love this hypothesis. It’s absolutely sublime.

In our universe, Schroedinger's cat is (roughly) “while the box is closed, the cat is simultaneously both dead and alive; but when you open the box the uncertainty collapses into one of those two states”.

Instead in the hypothetical universe you describe, Schroedinger's cat is “while the box is closed, the cat is simultaneously both dead and alive; but when you open the box the the uncertainty leaps out and kills you.”

Its a wonderful and original idea, and I commend you.
    Note that probably no scientist ever subscribed to the view "Schroedinger's cat is both dead and alive". Schroedinger created the thought experiment not as teaching example but to point out what seemed to him an absurdity in Copenhagen interpretation. Bohr (one of the man proponents of the Copenhagen interpretation) stated that measurement and wavefunction collapse would happen long before the box is opened.

Quantum effects are real and may be used for things which would affect everyday life but observing a quantum superposition of a whole biological organism doesn't seem to be an option with the currently available materials, energies and space.

And while some of the fiction using the "Schroedinger's cat" understanding of QM is interesting most of it fails to be self-consistent. And the OP's theory does seem to have much more in common with the logic bomb or indeed a game collapsing under incompatible modifications than with QM even as it is understood in popular culture.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 2021-02-08 at 02:33 PM. Reason: unzalgoed the Schroedinger