View Single Post

Thread: Why is D&D still Medieval?

1. - Top - End - #108
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Why is D&D still Medieval?

Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    As Twain said, there's three types of lies - lies, damned lies, and statistics.

That said, I don't see a particular agenda in these cases to drive any kind of manipulation.
    Notably, it's easy to see why it's the case, especially for beginning players.

Human is the easiest race to play. It's approximately average, and you kinda know how to act like a human from your own life. There aren't always that many stat adjustments or extra abilities to write down, at most you get a bonus feat or skill point.

Fighter is the easiest class to play. You have a sword, you hit things with the sword. You don't have to rely on sneaking around, keeping track of spells, or anything else.

And since it's what you start with, it's what you become used to.

Now, I'm sure an optimiser can say something about battle masters being more complicated than that, or how it's actually really hard to build things properly in third edition, but I'd point out that most parties don't optimise so strongly, and I'd also point out that a beginning player is likely also part of a beginning gaming group where nobody else really knows how anything works either.
    Last edited by Scots Dragon; 2021-02-11 at 03:39 PM.
    Spoiler: In case this signature gets lengthy
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    A game setting does need to be designed to be fun and functional to game in.

But there's more to good worldbuilding than piling the "parts to game in" on a big pile.

Farmland isn't there to be adventured in, primarily, but one assumes it's still there and part of the landscape -- just because adventurers don't go there often doesn't mean it doesn't or shouldn't or needn't exist.