View Single Post

Thread: OOTS #1225 - The Discussion Thread

1. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: OOTS #1225 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    That sounds like a terrible idea. Have these social scientists not heard of abusive parents? If people don't want kids, let them not have kids.
    Forcing people who don't want kids to have kids is one thing; encouraging people to have children by making the experience easier is something altogether different. I was looking at a series of charts yesterday that showed that roughly half of (American) adults (excluding those who said their family was "still growing") have fewer children than they want to. Granted, having one child rather than two is not the same thing as having no children rather than one, but many of the same reasons apply in both cases.

It's tough to talk too much about this without risking a brush with the no-politics rule, but speaking generally, it would be nice if society found a way to lower the financial costs associated with being a parent. I'm not too concerned that doing so would lead to a surge in abusive parents; it's much more likely that it would lead to more numerous, stabler, and happier families. There are downsides, too, but I'm not sure I can talk about them without getting too close to bending the no-politics rule.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2021-02-12 at 11:56 AM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.