View Single Post

Thread: OOTS #1225 - The Discussion Thread

1. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1225 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    And this is why I fear I'll never be a good enough dad.
    I don't fear that (well, parent), I depend on it. I will not be the one to call myself "good enough" and proceed to rest on my laurels. I can get away with that anywhere else, but when it comes to my child, I intend to continue to improve my parenting till the day I die.

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Not gonna lie, I'm a bit put off by all this talk about how you aren't truly an adult (or even a good citizen with full moral standing) unless you have kids.
    No-one has said either of those things?

The first might be in reference to my comment, and that was clearly not universal, but applying strictly to myself. Find your own damn way of growing up. Heck I even said that foisting kids on others will not work. The second is an utter misreading of Heinlein, whose point is that you can't force people to be moral, no matter what.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2021-02-12 at 01:07 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est