View Single Post

Thread: The Royal Artificery Society - IC

1. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - IC

Over the course of the next several days, the mood in the city slowly improves. The introduction of several effective treatments, as well as commitment from several wealthy patrons to fund a sewer system has restored people's faith in the ability of the city to contain the disease, and the amount of people dying from the disease has dropped off dramatically, with the pressure on the hospitals in and near the Stormdrains district slowly easing.

With the Spectre of plague receding, people once again start looking ahead to the upcoming harvest festival, which'll be held in less than three weeks. With a renewal of activity in the city also come new commissions, with many relatively minor requests related to the harvest festival put up on the boards in the Society campus, with request ranging from novelty beverages to clockwork effigies for the parade. In addition to a flood of harvest festival related commissions several other more irregular requests are posted as well.

Spoiler: Announcements
    Show

Reminder:
    Though treatments are now available, the Stormdrain plague has not yet been tamed. If you show any of the disease's symptoms head in for treatment immediately. If you have business in the Stromdrains district it is recommended you take a dose of the Jupitas Restorative in advance if you can afford it, as tests have shown it could prevent you from catching the disease for several days after taking it. If you're heading there on official business related to dealing with the plague you can come and pick up a dose at the campus infirmary.

Be wary of fake 'cures'. The curatives currently confirmed to be effective are:
    the Jupitas Restorative: Only take this in advance of heading into the Stormdrains district or dealing with those infected, or when showing very mild symptoms. It is not to be taken by people suffering moderate or worse symptoms!
    Noctebulexpon: Take this when suffering from Diarrhea and general dehydration symptoms
    Arglamcaeli: Take this to alleviate coughing and reduce the disease's impact on the lungs.
    Blackroot extract: take this only in cases of extreme coughing and respiratory issues, when Arglamcaeli either fails to help, or is unavailable. It has proven to be extremely effective at dealing with the symptoms related tot the lungs but it has long-term, sometimes permanent, side effects, most notably a sensitivity to bright light.
    Contest announcement!
    My fellow students of alchemy and the culinary arts, as I'm sure you're all aware, every guild and restaurant in the city seems to want their own novelty drink for the harvest festival. Though there is much to be learned and earned on these commissions, I believe they'll be a bit more exciting with a little contest. On the first day of the festival all your creations can be submitted to me for perusal. I'll arange for several suitable prizes for the best creations, and I have no doubt my official seal of approval will help with your own fame and the sale of your creations.

-Signed, Cirast Overhill, Curator of Alchemy

Spoiler: Commissions
    Show

Streidekker and Sons, Shipwrights, is looking for innovations!
    The Streidekker shipyards is looking for new innovations in the field of ship-design!
    Both full ship designs and smaller inventions are desired. Both civilian and military applications are welcomed.
    Designs need to be accompanied by a prototype or convincing proof of concept. For further details, visit our office in the Harbor district and ask for Manfred Streidekker.
    Goldrow bank needs security consultants
    As you are no doubt aware, a new building for the Goldrow bank has recently finished construction. All our vaults and defenses are now in place, but before we start using the building we want to issue a final challenge to test our security. We're offering a 1000gp bounty to anyone capable of getting into one of our vaults, retrieve the message stored within and then bring it to our primary location in the Silverflow district, within the next two weeks!
    Though our traps and defences aren't lethal under normal circumstances, and our guards will not use lethal force unless attacked, there is still a risk of harm coming to those taking up this challenge. Goldrow limited does not take responsibility for any harm that may befall you while trespassing on our property.
    the above commissions have been posted a little over a week ago. The ship commission is likely to remain up for a bit longer, but the bank job has a clear deadline that is approaching.

Looking to commission a weapon
    I'm looking to commission a longsword designed to be particularly effective against the undead, and one specific undead in particular.

For more details, ask for Captain Eshanel at the Ranger's guild
    Looking for consulting engineer for a sensitive project
    I am looking to acquire the services of a skilled engineer to help resolve a thorny issue. Discreteness required!

Leave your resume at the Gatewatch inn for mr. Greylance, together with your contact details. We'll contact you if we decide we need your services.
    Glass maker's guild commission
    During the upcoming harvest festival we want to show off our craft to the entire city in a way that'll certainly catch people's attention. Innovative ideas are welcome!

Ask for master Mesdag at the guildhouse for more information.
    Treatment for baron Esterwald
    As you are no doubt aware, my father's ability to walk has been deteriorating rapidly these past years. I will handsomely reward the one that can restore his ability to walk as he used to.

-signed, Eduard Esterwald the younger

Zacharias
    By the end of the week a letter from Ronce arrives, accompanied by a sizeable coin-pouch. The letter once again congratulates Z on the ingenuity of his creation, and boasts about the heaps of coin that it has already brought in. The coin-pouch is filled with platinum pieces for a total value of 1000g, as well as several letters confirming the ownership of minor stakes in half a dozen small trade ventures, that together should pay out a tidy sum of about 100gp per week for the foreseeable future. Z recognizes quite a few of these trade ventures as being either owned by Ronce, or at least part of his sphere of influence.

Zeal
    Shortly after you start distributing the cure Zacharias designed, another letter from Octavius Ponvera arrives, congratulating you on your speed in developing a cure to cover the weaker parts of your first design. The letter reiterates that the empire will fully reimburse all costs incurred for creating the two cures, and that they'll increase your weekly pay-out to 1500 gp per week for as long as the plague is going to last for providing the two cures. Though you've got time for your own projects, your shop's entire output is taken up by producing the cures, and will be for the coming weeks at least.

Shandara
    The tests of your enchantment pass without significant incident, though you hear later that mr. Galbic's own test caused a significant mess at the workshop, and the Escribano workshop pays out a 2500 gp share from the total commission reward for the sewers. Furthermore, they offer you a contract that would earn you another 2000 gp for enchanting the various pipes they'll need. This would be about five days work, which they need to be done within the next month (you can refuse this if you want to).

Bolten
    Your drill comes together nicely, and in a test at an abandoned quarry not too far from the city it performs wonderfully as well. The Escribano pays you the agreed upon 1500 gp for permission to replicate the design, as well as a 2000 gp share from the commission reward. After construction of the first full-scale model they don't really need your help for the subsequent creations, but they do ask for a way to easily contact you in case any issues occur during the actual digging for the sewers that they'd want you to look at.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-02-17 at 10:52 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays