View Single Post

Thread: The Royal Artificery Society - IC

1. - Top - End - #116
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - IC

The Esterwald Estate

Bolten waits with his cup of tea, wondering how much of the waiting is genuine delay and how much is the noble tendency to make other people wait. Ah well, he has tea and it's a nice place.

Inside the office, Bolten gets right to the point as Eduard Jr. prompts him. "Well, I'll say this right off: I have no experience in medicine or the inner workings of the body, so I do not have anything to slow down his physical decline. You said, however, that his ability to walk is extremely hampered. I have a rough idea for something to help with that.

I believe that I can make a sort of exoskeletal clockwork chassis for your father that will allow to at least maintain his mobility. It would be like the iron rods that they put in medical casts, but these would allow for articulation of motion as well as providing structural support for his weight. This would be something he could get into or remove whenever necessary, such as when he needs to use the... facilities or when it is time for bed. I can even install specific parts at places like the ankle and knee that will allow him to lock himself into a crouch or standing position, if necessary. I'll have to find some sort of energy to power the apparatus, but I will be either installing a set of levers that allow for manual control of the movements or create a control rod similar to what they use for golems. Just as a backup in case his own movements aren't enough to register with the machinery, you understand.

Maybe it's not exactly what you were hoping for, but his quality of life would at least be improved by allowing him free movement. I wish I could say that I sympathize with your circumstances... but I never knew my father and that would be a lie."
    Bolten shrugs. "If you are interested, I could present you with a prototype schematic. In order to do that, though, I would need the measurements for his feet, legs, waist, and hips. I wouldn't be able to come up with a budget for the project until then." Having said his piece, Bolten sits and waits for the young noble's response.
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2021-02-18 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Wrong speech color