View Single Post

Thread: The Royal Artificery Society - IC

1. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - IC

The Esterwald estate
    Eduard Esterwald takes several moments to consider after hearing out Bolten, before responding. "If you'd come by earlier today, I probably would have dismissed this idea as it deviated to far from the ideal resolution I envisioned." He lets that sink in for a second before continuing. "However, I've spoken to several alchemists and doctors now, and all have stressed that any magical or alchemical solution they could devise would have side effects and risks attached. Your solution, while not the ideal solution I initially envisioned, does sound a lot safer."

Eduard picks up a small bell from his table and shakes it, though no sound emerges from it. However, within moments a knock on the door is heard and a servant enters. "Modas, please acquire a copy of the measurements our tailor uses for designing my father's trousers and boots. Make certain it is ready for mister Cogturner to pick up before he leaves." He then opens a drawer and hands several sheets of paper to Bolten.

"This is our physician's description of my father's condition, as far as his mobility is concerned. Needless to say, this is somewhat confidential. Though my father's condition is no secret, I'd prefer it if the exact details aren't spread around too widely. Is there anything else you need to know?"

Spoiler: On Baron Esterwald's condition
    Show

It seems he's suffering from a wasting affliction affecting primarily the muscles in his legs. Various treatments including magic have successfully slowed it's progress over the years, but not halted it. The baron can still move his legs somewhat, but his muscles have mostly wasted away to the point that he can't exert any significant force. The bones are apparently also somewhat brittle and more easily damaged than they should be.

The Ranger's guild
    The ranger's guild is an odd structure. It's a squat and utilitarian building, one designed with defence in mind over aesthetics, this in stark contrast to the buildings around it. The guild-hall is in the military district, and surrounded by richly decorated military academies and headquarters for the various military branches keeping the empire safe. Any doubt about whether it is the correct location is dispelled once one steps inside, however. The heavy double doors lead into a large hall decorated with faded and not-so faded banners pointing to campaigns of old, as well as displays of storied weapons and the skulls of great creatures slain by the members of the guild.

The hall is also fairly quiet, mostly devoid of people with the exception of a noblewoman seated on a bench on the far side and looking over some sort of report, and an elderly caretaker cleaning the various artifacts and relics on display. The caretaker's eyes narrow a bit as he notices Shandara, but he points her towards captain Eshanel's room.

The captain's room is near the end of a long hallway filled with doors. Most door are closed, but the few that open look out on small rooms with a bed, a desk and often some personal effects scattered about. Most look as if they don't currently have an occupant. The rooms close to captain Eshanel's room are slightly different,as they're either completely empty and clean, as if they've recently been emptied, or messy, showing clear signs of recent occupation.

Eshanel's room is slightly larger than most of the other room's Shandara has passed, though its furnishings are equally spartan, consisting of a bed, a desk and chair, a bookcase and a small table with four chairs surrounding it. The captain is sitting behind the desk, writing a letter. She appears to be in her thirties and is clearly very fit, with an athletic build. She's wearing a simple tunic, breeches and boots, with a fancy coat sporting the ranger's guilds emblem as well as some kind of personal crest lying on the bed nearby. She's got short brown hair and slightly pointy ears marking her as a half-elf.

As she turns to look at Shandara one more feature is revealed. The left side of her face has been ruined. The skin is wrinkled and scarred, and a far darker shade than the rest of her skin. Her left eye stands out in all this as being fine, though the harshness of the seem between the healthy skin around her eye and the scarred skin suggest some kind of recent magical healing. She frowns and gives Shandara a somewhat suspicious look, and the way this pulls at the skin on the damaged part of her face elicits a barely perceptible wince of pain. "Yes? Do you need something from me?" She asks.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-12-31 at 04:43 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays