Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
Ah, that makes more sense, but I also disagree with that. Most movies require dialogue for the vast majority of the plot and to explain what would happen, and the visuals are just quick and dirty exposition. Off the top of my head you could play The Blues Brothers with the monitor turned off and understand the vast majority of the plot and what is happening. Even with Jaws, the dialogue and the visuals pull equal weight. I don't remember much of Avengers 1 so I can't soak to how accurate the statement was, but expository and plot-advancing dialogue to other characters is a pretty major and vital part of filmmaking. So much so that it's very noticeable and commented on when it is absent.
Eh, that's fair. I would argue that to some degree, but I haven't seen Blues Brothers or Jaws. It'd still be far harder to follow those films without the visuals though.

In the case of Avengers and so on, it probably does lean more heavily on showing the story with visuals, and that might make it very hard to follow JUST from dialogue... but I don't think that is unique, and I don't think it'd be impossible.