Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
I get what you mean, I just don't think it is that simple on either in IC or OOC level.

On an OOC level, the GM and the players need to work together to develop and change the setting, either side trying to strong arm it is not going to go well. On a fiction level, changing societies through violent means is really hard, in a realistic setting there isn't going to be a clean line between the oppressors and the oppressed and simply killing the heads of state likely won't change the underlying cultural assumptions.
Why does it "need" to be realistic?

this hobby is full of escapism just like a lot of fantasy fiction is. we take shortcuts to make things more fun all the time. I see no difference between my desire and that of those who want to kill orcs for being chaotic evil, yet no one bats an eye at the latter.

also more importantly to this thread, if a transgender person wants to use fantasy to escape to a world where the transition is easy, what is wrong with that? what makes taking shortcuts on this any different from taking shortcuts on any other details we do in roleplaying?

everyone has to decide for themselves what is acceptable escapism vs. an issue that needs to explored through suffering and complexity.

if always realistic all the time was the right answer, fantasy wouldn't even exist.