1. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Gender and sexuality diversity in RPG settings

Talakeal:

How close are the names in your world to IRL ones? If not very much then one thing that can happen (I think almost should happen) is lack of gendered names. So a person transitioning would not normally change their name - they can, of course, like some people change their names for reasons unrelated to sexuality or gender, but that should be significantly rarer. In fact lack of gendered names is practically a default assumption in transhumanist SF I've read. Now with RL names it is somewhat jarring but still possible; with made-up names it's easy.

Lord Raziere, Rater202

I definitely agree that if your character can topple the government by themselves they should be able to topple the government regardless of what player has in mind. That's only fair. However not every game is presuming that such level of power is achievable. I also do not think that non-TO 20lvl party is on that level of power in every official D&D setting.

Now if we go "not quite by themselves" then we have the problem of people supporting your character or party. The party may be able to inflict more damage than a nuclear warhead, and still not able to solve the problems without support of others. And if there is no support readily available then you sometimes can create that support and sometimes you can't. It's not necessary a GM screwing with you. Saying that converting a society of steppe nomads to strict veganism is impossible is not an indication that GM has a low opinion of veganism (not even indication that GM is not vegan themselves). Additional important thing: more things are theoretically possible in long-term, but even if your character can live for another 100 years I think that many players who want changes will not settle for that - nor will GM or other players agree to make that a focus of campaign.

Finally, Raziere: killing those who will not listen? Really?
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 2021-02-21 at 04:04 PM.